I think a lot of people are confused about how to cook a moist, tender steak. I was too, but after much trial and error I have it down to a science. First you want to start with a high quality piece of beef. I buy beef from a local farmer. It is 100% grass-fed and finished and absolutely delicious. I prefer Rib Eye, T-Bone, Porterhouse or New York Strip steaks.
How to Cook the Perfect Steak
1. Gently unwrap steak and place on cutting board
2. Massage sea salt and fresh pepper into both sides of meat
3. Heat heavy oven-proof pan on stove top to Medium High. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Coat both sides of steak with a high quality olive oil. Greasing the steak instead of the pan, results in a perfect sear.
5. Place the in hot pan, sear for 1.5 minutes
6. Flip steak over with tongs, being careful not to pierce the meat.
7. Place the pan in hot oven and bake for 12 minutes for well done. 8 minutes for medium. 6 minutes for rare. This can vary slightly depending on the thickness of your steak
8. Remove pan from oven, gently transfer meat to warm plates. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. I know waiting is hard, but this allows the tendons in the meat to relax, and will result in a very tender steak.
Last year I discovered Nunez de Prado Olive Oil. It is the most delicious olive oil I have ever tasted. It results in the most tender, moist meats I have ever cooked. If you cook as much wild game as I do, you need this oil! I bought mine at Whole Foods Market.