Chicken Pot Pie
1 Tbsp butter for sautéing
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion diced
2 carrots diced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
1 cup corn
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
For the Crust:
1 2/3 cups flour
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp celery seed
1.In a saucepan melt butter and sauté garlic, onion, carrot, salt & pepper and chicken stock. Boil until tender. Taste and adjust as needed. This is my favorite part 🙂
2. Mix pastry ingredients and set aside
3. Whisk together the milk and flour, slowly add to saucepan. Boil until thickened. Add chicken.
4. Roll out half of the dough. You can line one large 8×8 dish, one deep dish pie pan, or make several small round pies. I use these 2 cup pirex dishes, leaving about 1 inch of head space, so you can still get the lid on.
4. Pour filling into pies. Roll out remaining dough and cover. Cut vents for steam. Crimp to seal with wet fingers
5. Bake in 425 oven for 30-35 minutes. Crust should be brown and crispy.
This is very simple to make, and a quadruple batch is just as fast as a single batch. I make large quantities and let the baked pies cool completely. Put the lid on the dish and stack in the fridge or freezer for easy lunch meals. I love the cream cheese crust, it is so easy, but still turns out light and flaky and delicious!