Municipal water contains chlorine, fluoride, lead, arsenic, bacteria, parasites, and thousands of chemicals from prescription drugs. It also tastes terrible. Did you know that municipal water in 43 states contains rocket fuel! Otherwise known as Perchlorate, this explosive chemical is known to drastically lower thyroid hormone levels, cause abnormal brain development and cancer. For a ton of information and peer-reviewed studies on this and many other health topics visit The Environmental Working Group.
I have had a reverse osmosis water filter in the past, but I was concerned by the fact that all of the beneficial minerals are removed by this type of filter. I needed to find a filter that removed everything bad, while leaving the minerals in the water. I also needed something portable, because I’m living in an apartment temporarily and want to be able to take the system with me. I wanted a system that didn’t rely on electricity and didn’t need to be hooked to the household plumbing. If my power or water goes out, I want a good source of clean drinking water. I also was disappointed with the cost of the reverse osmosis system. My original purchase was $330 and the filters needed changing every year at $100 a pop. That is a lot of money to be spending on water people!
After much research I finally found the filter that met all of these requirements. The Big Berkey!
- Berkey water filter systems are far superior to other filtration systems because they remove harmful pathogenic bacteria, cysts, parasites, and unhealthy chemical contaminants such as Chlorine to levels higher than 99.99%, while at the same time leaving in the essential minerals your body needs.
- Berkey water filter systems also remove fluoride and arsenic which most other filter brands do not have the ability to do.
- Berkey water filter systems require no plumbing or electricity and are completely portable.
- Berkey water filter systems are used around the world to clean untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds, and water supplies in foreign countries.
- Berkey water filters are affordable. I use 7-10 gallons of water a week. Because the Big Berkey with 2 black filters lasts for 6,000 gallons, this equates to 1 gallon of pure water for under 1 penny! It will last me more than 14 years before I need to change the filter!
The company that I used to purchase my filter was very helpful and I do recommend them. Visit Berkey Water Filters for more information. (I don’t make any money if you buy from them, I just was pleased with the service and thought I’d share)
I have had my Berkey for over a year now, and I still love it. The water tastes amazing, it sits right on the kitchen counter and filters away silently. It doesn’t require any cleaning or maintainance and I don’t have to change a $100 filter for 13 years!