Potatoes Au Gratin
4 potatoes, scrubbed clean
2 Tbsp butter to grease baking dish
1 1/2 cup raw heavy cream
1/2 cup whole raw milk
2 Tbsp flour or arrowroot powder
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper
1 cup raw cheddar cheese
8 pieces pastured bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cook and crumble the bacon. Slice potatoes into discs (don’t bother peeling them). Butter your casserole dish.
- In a bowl mix cream, milk, flour, garlic and spices.
- In casserole dish layer 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/3 of the milk mixture, and 1/3 of the bacon. Repeat until you are out of ingredients.
- Cover dish with foil and bake in 400 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cover with cheddar cheese and place back in the oven until cheese is melted. 3-5 minutes.
I could eat this by itself as a main dish, must be the Irish in me 🙂 This is a versatile side dish and goes well with just about anything. Try it with Country Fried Steak, Meatloaf, Venison Backstrap, or Fried Chicken. Next time I want to try a mixture of Gruyère and Parmesan cheese. Yum!