Chorizo and Scrambled Egg Muffins
1/2 lb chorizo (any breakfast sausage or bacon will work)
5 eggs scrambled
2 eggs for batter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp homemade baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup coconut oil, gently melted
- In skillet brown sausage. Set aside
- In skillet scramble 5 eggs. Turn off heat.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients; flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl. Add milk, oil, maple syrup and remaining 2 eggs. Mix well.
- Fold in eggs and chorizo,
- Fill a buttered muffin pan. Use 1/4 cup of batter for each muffin. Each muffin cup should be full to the top.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 16-18 minutes. Tops should be golden brown.
These are excellent hot or cold. I really love the texture! You have the light, flakey muffin and the density of the scrambled egg pieces. They also have the sweet and salty thing going. As usual I make a large batch and take them to work for a fast high protein snack. I have also mixed in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese before baking, and they are delicious that way too. I just didn’t happen to have cheese today 🙂