I have seen this recipe for years on the internet, and I just assumed that there was no possible way it could work. I mean who on earth would think that sugar water would work just as well as my $1.00 can of Suave? I don’t use hairspray very often, but when I do I want to spray it once in the morning and forget about it for the rest of the day. That stuff better hold! I also have very fine, silky hair that doesn’t hold a curl for even 1 second, so if I ever want curls there had better be a strong can of hairspray nearby.
I was really, completely shocked that this worked! Here is your 30 second recipe. Give it a try!
Homemade Hippie Hairspray
1 cup nearly boiled water
4 tsp sugar
- Mix and pur into a fine mist spray bottle
- spray , wait 30 seconds to dry, spray again.
- stronger? add more sugar
- Weaker? add less sugar
The above recipe makes a very “max hold” type hairspray. I actually had to add a bit more water and dilute mine, because I don’t need it quite that extreme.
I have been using this for a month now to test it out, and I have no complaints. It actually makes my hair very shiny, it holds all day, and NO it does not attract bugs🙂
- Use the finest mist bottle you can find. I used an old hairspray bottle and it was perfect
- Spray a very tiny amount on and wait for it to completely dry and then re-apply
- As weird as this sounds, I spray all of my hair, let it dry, and then brush my hair. It adds just the right amount of texture to my hair, so I have zero static cling. Love it!
- You can add any essential oil that you like (if you like to smell like a girl)
Now I have yet another household product that I don’t have to spend money on. I spend $5.98 on a 10 lb bag of organic sugar. So this recipe costs me exactly $1.6 cents! ONE POINT SIX CENTS PEOPLE! Amazing. I love being cheap🙂