This is an easy make-ahead breakfast. You can mix it up the night before and then bake it the next morning. It also makes a fast and easy dinner.
Ham & Asparagus Strata
4 English muffins, torn into pieces
2 cups cooked ham
2 cups fresh asparagus, cut up
4-6 oz Gruyère cheese, cubed
5 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Spread half of the english muffin pieces on the bottom.
- Top with ham, asparagus and cheese cubes
- Top with remaining english muffin pieces
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, milk, onion, mustard and pepper
- Pour this mixture over casserole dish, coating everything evenly
- Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 60-65 minutes
There are a zillion variations on this recipe. I have replaced the ham with chicken before. I have used broccoli instead of asparagus. I have used swiss instead of Gruyère. Let your imagination go wild!