This recipe is very simple, but full of flavor. I love the saltiness of the bacon, the sweetness of the raisins and the bitter brussels sprouts all mixed together. A fabulous side dish!
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
3 slices thick bacon
4 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 medium shallot, minced
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup homemade chicken stock
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- In a heavy skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside to crisp up.
- Add Brussels sprouts to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until well browned and almost soft. About 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add raisins, shallot and butter. Cook 3 minutes
- Add broth and bring to a boil, being sure to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer broth 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in vinegar and crumbled bacon. Taste and season as needed. Serve warm.
I only had a tiny amount of golden raisins on hand, so I added 1/4 cup of dried cranberries also. It turned out delicious!